Beloit Meals on Wheels relies on hundreds of volunteers to bring nutritious food to our neighbors in need every day. Never has the need for this service been more essential with many of the people we serve being increasingly isolated during the Coronavirus Pandemic.
Beloit Meals on Wheels are taking the necessary precautions to ensure delivery can continue safely during this difficult time. Read on for answers to frequently asked questions to volunteer questions at this time:
Can I continue to deliver during a stay-at-home/shelter-in-place order?
Yes. Beloit Meals on Wheels volunteers are providing an essential service and are exempt from a shelter-in-place order. We need healthy volunteers to continue to provide this service.
How is the meal delivery site keeping me safe as a volunteer at this time?
Beloit Meals on Wheels delivery site is sanitizing all items used for delivery in between uses and have made adjustments to meal pickup to allow for proper social distancing and minimize person-to-person contact.
How can I do my part as a volunteer to make sure I’m not spreading the virus to meal recipients?
- CLEAN HANDS: We are asking drivers to wash their hands prior to delivery and again when they are done delivering for the day.
- SAFE DELIVERY: We are asking volunteers to wear a mask when delivering meals and use hand sanitizer between each client’s delivery. Volunteers should pay special attention to instructions given by the volunteer coordinator and take time to follow the delivery instructions on the route sheets to reduce unnecessary interaction between volunteers and meal recipients.
- HEALTHY DRIVERS: We are asking drivers to call the office, as soon as possible, if they are unable to drive because they are not feeling well. We ask you to stay home if you answer yes to any of the following questions:
- Do you have a fever?
- Are you coughing, sneezing, or do you have a runny nose?
- Does anyone in your household have these symptoms?
- Have you or anyone in your household had close contact with someone who has or suspects they have COVID-19?
Do you still need more volunteers to help with delivery?
Yes. We’ll need all the help we can get to ensure delivery continues through the pandemic. If you can help, please sign up on our volunteer page.
I recently signed up to volunteer. When should I expect to start?
We’ve had an amazing number of new volunteers sign up in the last few weeks and we expect to need all of them at some point. We’re working diligently to match volunteers with open opportunities, but it may take some time to hear back from us. Thank you for your patience. Know that you are appreciated and will be needed to help when the time comes!